We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Colchicum 2013  (Read 23899 times)

ebbie

Re: Colchicum 2013
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2013, 05:39:12 PM »
Given the lack of frost hardiness of Colchicum luteum and relatives I can confirm Maggi and Kris. Last February, the temperature dropped in my alpinehouse a few days at -10 °.  The beautiful Colchicum luteum 'Golden Baby' and Colchicum kesselringii(?) 'Snow of Highland' have not survived. Colchicum luteum x kesselringii 'Jeanne' survived with damage. Perfectly hard was Colchicum kesselringii 'Purple Star'.
Eberhard P., Landshut, Deutschland, Niederbayern
393m NN, 6b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2013, 09:25:38 PM »
Sorry to hear that you have had some problems like us, ebbie, with these lovely plants. 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2013, 10:43:27 PM »
Still no sign of flowers on my Colchicum illyricus

Masses of Colchicum minutum out now - the best weed in one of my troughs
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2013, 07:23:39 AM »
Given the lack of frost hardiness of Colchicum luteum and relatives I can confirm Maggi and Kris. Last February, the temperature dropped in my alpinehouse a few days at -10 °.  The beautiful Colchicum luteum 'Golden Baby' and Colchicum kesselringii(?) 'Snow of Highland' have not survived. Colchicum luteum x kesselringii 'Jeanne' survived with damage. Perfectly hard was Colchicum kesselringii 'Purple Star'.
Colchicum luteum and keselringii is hardy, as well as hybrid. They are growing wild at 2000 m and higher. Here I grew them outside and minus 10 C for few days is nothing. Afraid that there is another reason - they can easy get Fusarium or other fungal problem. Quite often you can't see infection at planting time.  Purple Star is of same hardiness.
Corms of luteum I collected at Chimgan from totally frosen soil (included in frosted soil), temperatures in night outside was below minus 10. They bloomed without problems from totally frosen soil. Of course hardiness depends from development of plant, too. If very long frost (and strong) returns at blooming time - then plants can die, but then the same will be with many other bulbs (as crocuses), too.
Janis
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 07:27:01 AM by Janis Ruksans »
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2013, 08:45:03 AM »
Colchicum luteum and keselringii is hardy, as well as hybrid. They are growing wild at 2000 m and higher. Here I grew them outside and minus 10 C for few days is nothing. Afraid that there is another reason - they can easy get Fusarium or other fungal problem. Quite often you can't see infection at planting time.  Purple Star is of same hardiness.
Corms of luteum I collected at Chimgan from totally frosen soil (included in frosted soil), temperatures in night outside was below minus 10. They bloomed without problems from totally frosen soil. Of course hardiness depends from development of plant, too. If very long frost (and strong) returns at blooming time - then plants can die, but then the same will be with many other bulbs (as crocuses), too.
Janis

Thanks Janis for your information . You are right ...the main reason for the problems from previous year was the fact that they are near flowering stage when the strong frost came ....They where much  to early in flower (some before the end of the year)because of the very very mild winter . The plants didn't make any preparation against cold. Then suddenly came a strong frost with no snow . And the other problem was the fact that I grewed this bulbs in clay pots....Those clay pots where plunged in a sand bed that was raised above soil level. Due this raised aspect and the sand and clay pots the frost came easily in the pots . The pots where frozen for many weeks . The flowers became black and afterwards they started to rotten ... Some bulbs died because of this fungal disease...I think that other died because the frost was to long in this smal clay pots. In such circumstances the pots are a disadvantage and it was better to have them just in the soil of the garden ? I think I am gonna rebuild this raised bed and would be thinking about some preparations to make it better against such hard frost....And always take a spare bulb in my frostfree glashouse ....But tough ...in the future I wonna try some of those Colchi's in the open garden to ...They are so beautiful that you never wan't to give up ...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 08:49:44 AM by krisderaeymaeker »
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

ebbie

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 08:56:30 AM »
I agree with you, Kris.

Thank you from me for your information too, Janis. Last year here in December and January was unusually warm, followed by a sharp frost in February. The plant started as ready to bloom. I think that this was the reason, probably due to a fungal infection. The same thing happened incidentally with Fritillaria sewerzowii.

Mark, what a fine weed -  your Colchicum minutum.
Eberhard P., Landshut, Deutschland, Niederbayern
393m NN, 6b

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 09:22:01 AM »
I agree with you, Kris.

Thank you from me for your information too, Janis. Last year here in December and January was unusually warm, followed by a sharp frost in February. The plant started as ready to bloom. I think that this was the reason, probably due to a fungal infection. The same thing happened incidentally with Fritillaria sewerzowii.

Mark, what a fine weed -  your Colchicum minutum.

We had several such winters. Some 5-6 years ago I lost most of outgrown bulbs. Last winter losses were minimal regardless of full month with temperature around and below minus 30 C in February. Then damaged were just pots grown on raised beds in polytunnels. 5 cm of foam polyuretane sheets on raised bed sides turned something too little to protect against so long and hard frost. 7-10 days wouldn't be problem, but full month was too long.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2013, 04:51:09 PM »
Some of my Colchicum minutum open on a sunny day. Not so many flowers as last year so I must feed them

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »

-10 C is nothing for these colchicums. The main reason, in my opinion, is keeping the soil wet (watering during winter perid). My experience shows that in this case even extremely hardy bulbs can die even under the temperature +3 - +5 C.
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

krisderaeymaeker

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2013, 05:56:49 PM »
-10 C is nothing for these colchicums. The main reason, in my opinion, is keeping the soil wet (watering during winter perid). My experience shows that in this case even extremely hardy bulbs can die even under the temperature +3 - +5 C.

Thanks Zhirair . Another thing I wan't to try in the future ...
Kris De Raeymaeker
Belgium

krisderaeymaeker

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2013, 05:57:28 PM »
Some of my Colchicum minutum open on a sunny day. Not so many flowers as last year so I must feed them

But stil impressive Mark .
Kris De Raeymaeker
Belgium

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2013, 06:21:42 PM »

Mark, what a wonderful sight! I guess that there is no germination trouble with this species - unlike many other Colchicums.

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2013, 06:27:47 PM »

I take no chance with my Colchicum luteum. It's kept in my glasshouse where I can control both temperature and watering, but unfortunately not the light level.

Poul

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2013, 08:27:26 PM »
Poul, I assume they self seed or run. I never look for seeds. There are no bees at this time of year here although today was warm enough for them to fly

Temperature today

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2013, 06:19:26 AM »
Temperature today

Lucky you!
We had + 2 oC yesterday and the forecast says frost day and night for the next 1-2 weeks.

Poul

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal